From the Curator: Just say no to the sleeping pill
Gone are the days when a sleeping pill can cure you of insomnia.
SHC is unapologetic about its views regarding the use of prescription sleep aids:
- Research supports behavior modification by way of CBTi (cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia) as a first line approach for treating insomnia.
- Ambien (zolpidem CR) and other sleep aids are meant to be used only occasionally due to addiction and other safety risks to users.
- Tapering off Ambien will likely be more problematic than the original sleep disorder it was originally meant to treat.
- Ambien is also implicated in higher fall risks among older users, increases in the chances of developing dementia and memory loss, and drowsy driving even in the morning after one has taken the drug.
- It is also well known for causing sleepwalking, vivid dreams, hallucinations, “Ambien hangovers,” and short-term amnesia.
If you absolutely need to take a dose of zolpidem, and you are under a doctor’s close watch, that is one thing. However, SHC does not endorse its casual use for relaxation or for recreational purposes.
Ambien and other sleep aids are well known to lead to habituation and addiction and women may experience more problems while using this medication than men. It should not be taken unless under the care of a sleep physician.
Check out these Ambien testimonials
SHC offers the following supporting media that demonstrates what can happen when you take a sleeping pill (we focus on zolpidem), and why such an approach can be problematic, even downright dangerous, for some users. We hope you’ll take a look.
These links are for informational purposes only. Any mention of any product or service brands in these videos does not imply their endorsement by SleepyHeadCENTRAL.
JAN 9 || David Bailey (YouTube)
Sleep Driving Ambien Documentary
FEB 23 || LeeshaC88 (YouTube)
Opiate Addict | Telling My Dr About Ambien
APR 22 || Insomniac Next Door (YouTube)
How to Handle Zolpidem (Ambien, Stilnox) Withdrawals Like a Pro With Gabapentin
MAY 5 || Mega Merk (YouTube)
Episode 5 – My Struggles: Ambien-land
MAY 25 || Addiction Blog Media (YouTube)
Addiction Blog Editor talks @ protocol for Ambien addiction
JUN 14 || Generic Drug Center (Canada) (YouTube)
JULY 31 || Succubus (YouTube)
Don’t Sleep On It: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Ambien