All perspectives are sought and welcomed: humorous, clinical, personal, spiritual, political, fantastic, familial, experimental.
Call for submissions for Vitamin ZZZ
SleepyHead CENTRAL (SHC) seeks submissions on the topic of NESTING for its upcoming late fall issue of the literary quarterly, VITAMIN ZZZ.
Work submitted for NESTING should focus on bedrooms, comfort/discomfort, healing, and rituals: mattresses, beds, pillows, sheets, bedrooms, comfortable (or uncomfortable) sleep, sleep for rehabilitation/recovery/recuperation, safety and sleep, pain management and painsomnia, the right to sleep (homeless sleep), the family bed, “sleeping in,” sleep hygiene, best or worst bedtime rituals, bedtime stories, Teddy bears, fear of the dark, monsters under the bed, etc.
SHC is looking for creative writing on sleep health, sleep disorders, sleep deprivation, sleep habits, dreams… anything directly correlated with the biological process of sleep.
Specifically, SHC is looking for:
- flash fiction (under 1000 words)
- poetry (free verse, formal, prose poems)
- personal essays (under 2000 words)
- creative nonfiction (under 2000 words)
Only the highest quality literary writing should be submitted. At this time, SHC cannot pay but hopes to seek grant money in 2019 to fund this project.
For Autumn 2018 edition: October 15, 2018 (extended from September 30, 2018)
You may wish to learn more about this project by visiting our Vitamin ZZZ page.
How to submit your work for consideration
1. Please submit mss in body of email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VITAMINZZZ Submission” in the Subject line. No snail mail submissions, no attachments (firm).
2. Submit only 1 (2000-word) nonfiction prose submission at a time, or up to 5 poems or 2 flash fiction or nonfiction pieces (up to 1000 words each) at a time.
3. Previously published work okay as long as you retain rights. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but SHC asks that you notify us if your work immediately is accepted elsewhere.
4. REQUIRED: In lieu of an author’s bio, please send a reference to where you live (i.e. Jane Smith lives in Pennsylvania, or Joe Smith lives in Reading, PA). Also, include any prior publishers of your submitted work that SHC will need to credit, plus a 100-word personal statement about your relationship with sleep and/or dreams. This is not optional; our intention is to show the human side of sleep; your literary credentials matter far less to us than your actual narrative. If you do not include this, we will not accept your work.
- Please see examples from the early series published in July 2017 for ideas for how to tackle this. Or, check out the Winter 2018 edition, CLINICAL, here; the Spring 2018 edition, RESET BUTTON; or our most recent edition, MIDSUMMER NIGHTS.
Please allow 3 months’ reply time after submitting work for SHC to process and reply to your submission. If accepted, your work will appear in SHC’s Issuu platform digital literary quarterly. Issuu publications are shareable, searchable, downloadable, and readable from most digital access platforms (laptops, e-readers, tablets, smartphones). They can also be printed individually on demand by request for a fee.
These are complete guidelines. If you have other questions, please send them to email@example.com
Tamara Sellman, RPSGT CCSH and Curator/Editor
Vitamin ZZZ: A Quarterly Anthology About Sleep & Dreams
SleepyHeadCENTRAL.com: Your Sleep Health News & Information Clearinghouse